Owens Community College Alumni Association History & Mission
The Owens Community College Alumni Association was originally established as a volunteer club in 1971. Since 2002, when the first full-time Alumni Association Executive Director came on board, the Association has actively engaged alumni and students in programs, events and services that energize interest, build loyalty and strengthen support of Owens Community College. Alumni Association membership, publications, special events and annual giving initiatives have grown steadily since then.
Focused on giving back to the community, as of June 2013, here are some of the Alumni Association's accomplishments since 2002:
- Launched in 2004, the Backpack to the Future program has supplied more than 2,800 backpacks and 54,000 pieces of school supplies to more than 100 schools.
- The Association has established three endowed scholarship funds - the Detective Keith Dressel Memorial Scholarship; Michael W. Rickard Memorial Scholarship and the Alumni Legacy Scholarship. Each fund was started with an initial gift of $10,000. Now all three combined exceed $252,000 and have funded 34 scholarships totaling more than $38,000.
- The Association's Annual Golf Classic has netted nearly $289,000 for scholarships and outreach efforts since 2003.
- The Association sponsored a classroom on the Findlay campus for $60,000, donated $10,000 to begin the Success Program and contributed $252,000 to scholarship funds, totaling $322,000.
- In 2012, the Association pledged $100,000 to establish the Alumni Association Success TAP (Tuition Assistance Program) fund.
The Owens Community College Alumni Association engages alumni and students in programs, events and services that energize interest, build loyalty and strengthen support of Owens Community College.