Student outside College Hall, Student on his laptop, Pile of books

Post-Secondary Options Program

Frequently Asked Questions -- Option B

Dear Prospective Postsecondary Option B Student:
Owens Community College offers a unique opportunity for you to enrich and further your educational and career objectives while still a high school student. We hope that this booklet will be helpful in answering questions you may have about the Postsecondary Enrollment Option B program at Owens Community College.

What is the Postsecondary Enrollment Options Program?
The Postsecondary Enrollment Options program (PSEO) was established by the Ohio Legislature in 1989 to permit high school students from public or private high schools (chartered or non-chartered) in grades nine through twelve to earn college credit while in high school through the successful completion of college courses.

Option B students earn high school graduation credit and college credit concurrently. Students electing this option will have their tuition, books, materials or fees associated with such courses paid.

Where will I find information on applying for this program?
The application for the PSEO program (Option B) may be obtained from your high school guidance counselor or Owens Community College.

What are the characteristics needed to be a successful PSEO student?
A successful PSEO student is disciplined, self-directed, academically able and socially mature.

What's the difference between high school and college?
First and foremost, the level of course difficulty is very different between college and high school academic work. You may not spend as much time in the college classroom as you do in high school, but you will find the work to be more demanding, with more homework, reading and independent work. College requires self-discipline and self-motivation. For every hour that you spend in the classroom, you should expect to spend two hours on outside work.

Where are the courses held?
Owens Community College courses are held on the Owens campus and offsite locations at selected high schools. Some courses can also be taken through distance learning (via television or the internet).

Is there a difference between the courses held on the Owens campus and Owens courses taught at the high school?
The only differences are the location and the calendar they follow. Owens courses taught at the high school follow the high school calendar. Owens courses taught at the Owens campus follow the semester calendar.

Are the courses taken at Owens transferable?
Owens is fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. Completed course work taken is fully transferable to other Ohio state assisted colleges and universities and most out of state private schools. The applicability of completed course work taken to a particular major, however, will be determined by the school to which you transfer.

What courses should I take?
You should plan your course work carefully with your high school counselor. If you are a freshman or sophomore, you should pursue coursework that will enrich your educational experience and/or satisfy a special interest you have. This is especially so since as a freshman or sophomore you are limited to one course per semester. As a junior or senior, the first priority in selecting courses is completion of your high school graduation requirements. After that, courses should be chosen that will further your educational and career objectives. It is not unusual for high school students to change or be unsettled in their educational or career objectives. Because of this there is wisdom in taking a wide variety of classes that will meet the general education requirements at most colleges or universities.

In some instances we have students who are only taking electives at the college and who will take all of their courses in one area. Art, music, dance or business, are an example. The potential problem could be that if you take all electives in one area and choose a different major later, little or none of the elective courses may apply toward your graduation requirements. Broadly speaking, however, no education is wasted and choosing such electives may help you to decide the field you want to pursue.

Owens also offers a wide variety of occupational courses for those students interested in vocational programs.

If a course is not in the State Transfer Module, does that mean it will not transfer?
No. It means that the course is specific to a particular area rather than the general education category. Examples of this would be accounting, communications, foreign languages, etc.

Can I take remedial or developmental courses under Option B?
No. Students may take only college level courses that confer credit towards college graduation.

What is the relationship between the high school Carnegie unit and a college credit hour?
One high school Carnegie unit is equivalent to 5 semester hours in college. This means that if there were seven periods in your high school day (excluding the standard lunch period) and you were going to take all your classes at the college, you would be eligible to take 35 semester hours for the year (7 x 5). If you were taking 3 Carnegie units at your high school, this would make you eligible to take 20 semester hours for the year (4 x 5).

It also means that in order to complete a Carnegie unit of a subject you may have to take two classes to complete the 5 credit hours needed. For example, to receive credit for a Carnegie unit of American History, you would need to take HIS-201 and HIS-202 which are 3 semester hours each.

Will the courses taken at Owens be included in my high school grade point average?
Your school or school board will determine whether, and the manner in which, grades will be included in their students' grade point averages.

What are the limitations on the number of college courses that can be paid for at Owens?
No student may earn more than the total number of Carnegie units that might be earned using every period available during the school day (excluding the standard lunch period) in a given year. Students may participate for a maximum of four years if they begin as a freshman.

Can I take night classes?
Yes. Students may take day, evening or weekend classes.

Can I take summer classes under Option B?
No. The program is limited to the academic year August through May. Students eligible for this program can, however, earn college credits in the summer through Option A program at their own expense. Applications are available through your high school counselor.

Will Owens send final grades from courses taken to the high schools at the end of each term for Option B students?

Will the college send progress and attendance reports to the high school on a periodic basis for Option B students?

Does Owens have a uniform attendance policy?
No. Each instructor establishes the policy for their course. It is important for the students to be aware of the policy for each course they are taking. Course attendance policies are outlined on the course syllabus distributed at the first class meeting.

What resources are available to me if I am having difficulty with a class?
First, talk with your instructor. Your instructor may be able to offer the insight or help you need to be successful. Second, take advantage of the free tutoring that is offered in the Tutoring Center. Talk with your Owens counselor or advisor. He or she will be able to help you explore all the different options and alternatives available to you.

What are the consequences of withdrawing from a college course?
Withdrawing from a college course after the course has begun may affect completion of graduation requirements and should be discussed with your high school counselor and parents or guardian. A high school official must sign the Option B Withdrawal Notification form indicating their awareness of the student intent to withdraw before the College will process a withdrawal. The cost paid for you by the state can also be recovered by the school or school board from you, your parents or your guardian depending on your school or school board policy and practice. The amount of financial liability is determined by the date you withdraw from the class. The refund schedule is published in the schedule of classes for each semester and in the college catalog.

If I fail a class at the college what are the consequences of the failure?
Failure of a course could prevent your graduation. Your high school will provide you with counsel on this matter. The failure also becomes a permanent part of your college record.

If I fail a class at the college, who pays for the class?
Students who fail a class may be required by their high school to pay for the failed class. You should contact your high school counselor about your district's policy.

Can I repeat a failed class under this program?

May a high school student participate in any college activity?
In general, no. Students participating in the program continue to be high school students. While some college activities may directly relate to specific courses taken by these students (e.g. art, music, drama activities) most college activities are inappropriate.

If I take part or all of my courses at Owens, am I eligible to participate in high school extracurricular activities?
Yes. Students participating in the program remain high school students. They are entitled to participate in appropriate school district activities so long as they meet the criteria established by district policy or administrative procedures.

Where can I find more information about the college?
Your most important source of information will be the college catalog. In addition to general information about the college, the catalog also contains the academic calendar that lists important dates and deadlines, such as when you may register for classes, when classes begin, withdrawal dates and when the campus is closed for holidays.

*** Textbooks will need to be returned to College Hall Room 130 (Toledo) or Room 112 (Findlay) throughout the week of finals each semester.***

Visit Campus pictureOnline Classes picture