Tips for Disaster Situations
Every 30 seconds a child is poisoned in the United States and sixty percent of all poisonings occur with children under the age of six according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers. Child Proof caps are not really child proof - just child resistant - store household poisons such as chemical products, plants, cosmetics, all medications out of the reach of children.
If a poisoning occurs:
- Remain calm.
- Call the Poison control center at 1-800-222-1222 or your doctor immediately - they are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and on holidays.
- Have the following information ready:
- Child's condition
- Name of the product and ingredients
- How much of the product was taken
- Time poisoning happened
- Your name and phone number
- Age of the poisoned child
- Weight of the poisoned child
- The Poison Control Center or doctor will tell you what to do next.