Free Classes for Buckeye Broadband High Speed Internet Subscribers
Level 1 Class Overview
This seminar is provided by Owens Community College to Buckeye Broadband subscribers.
- Hands on, held in a computer lab (we supply the computer)
- 90 minutes in length, held on Saturday mornings
- Brief introduction to the Internet
- Held at Fire Science & Law Enforcement Building on Biniker Road, Perrysburg Township
-- View GPS Navigation Coordinates
-- View Campus Map with Parking Locations
- Key topics - Web browsing and e-mail basics
The 90 minute session serves as a brief introduction to the Internet, focusing on the most commonly needed skills for browsing the web and sending email.
What you should know before you attend:
- Basic use of the mouse and keyboard for a Windows-compatible computer
- Basic Microsoft Windows skills: navigating the Start Menu, how the taskbar along the bottom of the screen works, know how and when to double click.
- Understanding the various items required for your Internet connection to work
- Introduction to Internet Explorer as your Web browser
- How the Web is designed to work - key terminology
- Home Page - understanding its two definitions; changing your Home Page
- Adding and deleting IE Favorites, using the AutoComplete feature
- Quick introduction to search engines
- Choosing a method for your e-mail: Web-based vs. Mail Client Software
- Sending/receiving messages using Mail Client Software
- Brief discussion of file attachments and virus risks